Saturday, July 4, 2009

Halfway

It is INCREDIBLE to think I've been here for three weeks, with only three weeks left. Yet I also feel like I've been here for such a long time. 

This week went really well at school. We are in a routine and the kids are learning, happy, and mostly healthy. My teachers and I are getting really close and I have had some wonderful conversations with them. Yesterday we went to the orphanage and then all of us went to the river. It was so much fun and so relaxing. The kids had a blast, and we just splashed and cooled off. More like we got splashed. All the little boys just ATTACKED the three American girls with water...

Then we (the four Americans) came back to our house and made apple, pineapple, and chocolate pies until 11 PM. We just talked and laughed and didn't burn one of them! (A wonderful feat with an oven you aren't familiar with!) Today we are going to make chocolate cake for 80+ people for a fundraiser for church tomorrow as well. Loving the baking here! Then tonight we are headed to the orphanage because it's one of the little girl's birthdays today as well as Fourth of July! We're going to have marshmallows (tropical flavored was what the capital had), the three pies, and a BBQ. Fourth of July is VERY different when you aren't at home. But it's wonderful to have a few Americans and some very sweet children to celebrate with. I just spoke with my Dad on the phone back home, and my ENTIRE Mom's family is at our beach houses on the WA coast (which happens to be my favorite place in the world). Even my sister Claire is there from New York. Everyone except my Aunt Katie, cousin Lee, and Mike, and me. Both my Mom and Dad's families mean SO much to me. It sounds like they are having a wonderful time, and I'm really excited to hear about THEIR fourth celebration as well. Fireworks at the beach is a spectacular tradition in our family :)

Papa, you always said there were three things that were most important in life: God, our family, and our country. You raised a family who is emulating that today, together/in the DR, on Fourth of July. I love you and think of you constantly.

Earlier this week I made peanut butter cookies with the little girls at the orphanage. It was very different (soupy, $6 can of peanut butter), but delicious and we loved it :)

This week we are headed into our third week of class. Please pray for continued safety and health for all of us, open/clear communication and hearts, and learning on all ends. Thank you to everyone for your support and prayers; they are working!!

I love you all very much!

Have a fantastic, blessed Fourth of July!

All my love,
Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment